GPSa Knowledge Platform

COMPOSITION OF THE SOCIETY AND THE PLACE OF THE CITIZEN IN GOVERNANCE

GPSA Knowledge Platform forums Forum COMPOSITION OF THE SOCIETY AND THE PLACE OF THE CITIZEN IN GOVERNANCE

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Profile photo of ADESHOLA ADESHOLA 6 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of ADESHOLA
    ADESHOLA
    @sholaafariogun
    Nigeria

From my own point of view, I divided the Society/Community based on what you do, your profession and job. You can be a Citizen, Lawyer, farmer, teacher, Doctor in Government hospital, Local Government Chairman, Governor, Legislator, Police, etc.

From my classification, I grouped everyone into four;
    1. The Citizen,
    2. The Civil Servant,
    3. The Public Servant and
    4. the Civil Society.

Going by this illustration, let us take for example that we are all in an autonomous Community and we all decided to go and work without securing our properties and common assets, there will be insecurity. To solve this issue, a few people from the community can volunteer to stay behind to look after our properties and common wealth, as such, the community people can decide that, everyone should bring a little from what they make out there to take care of the few who stays behind to secure our properties…These people are the civil servants while what we bring to pay them is our taxes.

Going further, we are all busy and we need to take decisions and provide policy framework for the civil servants to work with, as such, more people show interest and we decide to vote and elect a few people to take that decision on our behalf…these are the public servants and they are also paid with our taxes all things being equal.

The last category or class includes anybody providing any type of goods and services…they are the civil society. In lieu of the foregoing, the other three groups actually serve the citizen, they are working for the citizen, so CITIZEN is king in the scheme of things but they have lost their birth right because they are docile and they are not enlightened.

Written by

Adeshola Afariogun

EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR
    African Foundation for Environment and Development- AFED
    No 29, Bolanle Awosika Street, Off Ilogbo Road
    Oju-ore, Otta, Ogun State
    http://www.afedev.org

STATE COORDINATOR
    West Africa Network for Peacebuilding (WANEP –Nigeria)
    Ogun State Chapter

Ecowas Emergency Response Team –EERT

PIONEER MEMBER
    Nigerian Youth Parliament
    Representing Ogun West Senatorial District

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

0 Responses on COMPOSITION OF THE SOCIETY AND THE PLACE OF THE CITIZEN IN GOVERNANCE"

How Can I Contribute to the Knowledge Platform

You may contribute to the Knowledge Platform in many different ways: you can send and disseminate your social accountability materials (toolkits, reports, videos, etc.) in the knowledge repository; you can contact, interact and collaborate with other peers and join a global community of social accountability practitioners; you can participate in the different learning and knowledge exchange activities of the GPSA KP such as online courses, thematic forums, webinars and blogs; and you can develop a partnership with the GPSA KP to implement collaborative knowledge activities.

2016 GPSA Knowledge Portal. All rights reserved | Terms and Conditions
To participate in all the learning and sharing activities, you need to be registered Click here to create your account